First rule is to determine your body type. For each body type there are corresponding styles that work best. Here’s a quick list to guide you.
- Slim — Flares are best, also low rises types, tight waists and backs will give you more shape and will also show off your lean silhouette.
- Curvy — Flares and bootlegs work best to show off your curves.
- Athletic — Low rises and contoured waists are for you, do away with skinny legs, they make your hips wider and the same with flared legs, they make you look curvier.
- Full Figure — Experiment on dark washes, bootcuts, and 2% stretch denim will slim, curve, and accentuate your assets. Avoid heavy back-pocket like those of cargo pants if you have a larger behind.
- Short — Always get your jeans hemmed instead of rolling or cuffing which will just make you look a lot shorter. Use dark washes, these will elongate your legs. For the same reason, do away from cropped jeans, they have the tendency to make your legs look even shorter so consider purchasing one in a dark wash.
- Long — Look for a brand that works for you and stick with it. (a fresh article on this matter in the coming issues)
*image courtesy of treehugger.com