Did you know that 1 out of 10 Filipina is diagnosed daily with PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome? An imbalance of the hormones estrogen and progesterone that lead to forming of tiny, benign masses on the ovaries, this condition is one of the reasons why most women experience irregular periods, infertility, inexplicable weight gain, harsh breakouts, and insomnia. While there’s still no treatment and the cause is still unknown, PCOS is manageable with the help of an OB-Gyn and a licensed dietitian. With this in mind, here are some practical tips from Jeunesse Anion Sanitary Napkins and Liner on how to conquer PCOS:
- Catch it early. A regular visit to your OB-Gyn will prevent bigger problems. “Follow the old adage prevention is better than cure. “Schedule an annual gynecologic examination with blood sugar test to ensure your hormones are in check”, advises Dr. Faith Suluen
- Stay in shape. “Most of the women who are diagnosed with PCOS are usually overweight, but even if you weigh just right doesn’t mean you’re not prone to developing one”, says Dr. Faith Suluen. “However, since records show that there are numerous cases of PCOS on obese women, it’s strongly recommended to live up a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise and balance diet. Quit smoking immediately and stop other vices if there’s any”, adds Dr. Faith.
- Awareness is the key. “While PCOS is not fatal, 50 percent of women with this condition are likely to develop diabetes or pre-diabetes before they reach 40 years old. Sadly, they’re also more prone to having high blood pressure and heart attack because of high levels of LDL or bad cholesterol on top of greater risk of developing sleep apnea, so lifestyle modification and blood sugar maintenance are a must”, notes Dr. Faith. “Remember to never self-medicate and consult your OB-Gyn for prescription of pills that can regulate your period,” she adds.
- Love your body. While it’s proven that sanitary napkin and liner are non-contributory to PCOS, it pays to look for a brand that does more than just protection. Since Jeunesse Anion is the only napkin and liner with bacteria and odor-reducing anion strip that’s also helpful in easing menstrual discomforts such as cramps and dysmenorrhea, your monthly period becomes more bearable and tolerable. In addition, it’s meticulously made virgin cotton pulp material, non-toxic glue with breathable top and bottom layers that spell peace of mind at its finest. The best part? No more excuses pushing aside movement and workout during your time of the month, lest you forget!
- Your dietitian is your best friend. In addition to your OB-Gyn, the helpful guidance of a licensed dietitian is crucial. “Since weight management and blood glucose control are related to PCOS symptoms, your dietitian will guide you on how to incorporate carbohydrate rich foods but won’t spike blood sugar”, says Philippine-US registered dietitian-nutritionist Cheshire Que. “